Monday 25 April 2016

Registering to vote and the Electoral Roll

If you would like to take part in the EU Referendum on Thursday 23 June 2016, you will need to ensure that you are registered to vote. To vote in an election or referendum, you will need to be registered on the Electoral Roll. The Electoral Roll is a list of all the names and addresses of those registered to vote in the UK. Each local authority is in charge of the Electoral Roll in its own area and it is updated every month.

Who can register to vote?
  • You can register to vote if you are 17 years old. However, you can only vote when you become 18 years old. 
  • You must be a British or a qualifying Commonwealth citizen. 
Not all households are automatically registered to be able to vote in an election or referendum and therefore it is absolutely vital to ensure that you have signed up to the Electoral Roll. The information on the Electoral Roll must be correct especially if you are applying for credit as the lender will use this information to confirm if your name and address is correct when carrying out a credit check. If you have not registered to vote or the details on the Electoral Roll are incorrect then you may be refused credit.  

If you would like to find out if you are registered to vote on the Electoral Roll or would like to check your credit report please contact Garden House Solicitors on 01992 422128.

Connect with us on LinkedIn                                             Follow us on Twitter

Electoral Roll Garden House Solicitors

Tel: 01992 422 128

The contents of this article are intended for general information purposes only and shall not be deemed to be, or constitute legal advice. We cannot accept responsibility for any loss as a result of acts or omissions taken in respect of this article.

No comments:

Post a Comment