Saturday 18 February 2012

When Should an EPA be Registered?

Article by
Sharon Brown
If you are the donor of an Enduring Power of Attorney (EPA) then you do not need to worry about registering your EPA.  However, your attorney(s) have a duty to register the document with the Office of the Public Guardian at such time as you lose mental capacity or begin to lose mental capacity. 

Capacity is time and decision specific and it can therefore be slightly confusing for an attorney to know exactly when they should start the registration process.  Part of the registration is to notify you and at least three of your relatives, and this acts as a safeguard to prevent an attorney taking unlawful control of your affairs.  If when the registration process is started, you or one of your relatives has a concern, it is possible to object to the Office of the Public Guardian on specified grounds.  

If you have any queries please contact Sharon Brown on 01992 422128 or by email
Follow Sharon on Twitter
Connect on LinkedIn

Tel: 01992 422 128

The contents of this article are intended for general information purposes only and shall not be deemed to be, or constitute legal advice. We cannot accept responsibility for any loss as a result of acts or omissions taken in respect of this article.

No comments:

Post a Comment